Christmas Events Happening in West Alabama: Parades, Christmas on the River & More!
Christmastime is here, and that means there's plenty of events going on in West Alabama to fill folks with a hearty dose of holiday cheer.
Likely the most substantial celebration in the area is Christmas on the River in Demopolis taking place Saturday, which is considered a national event.
"Christmas on the River really is probably the most important event that we have all year long. It has grown into a national event," said Kirk Brooker, Co-Chair of Christmas on the River in Demopolis. "We have been recognized on national television... It's such a jolt of community spirit as well. It really provides so much to Demopolis in the area."
The event kicks off Saturday morning with the Jingle Bell 5K run, followed by the Alabama State BBQ Championship cook-off, the 'Fair in the Square' art show, and a day parade that features 75 entries, 17 of which are massive papier-mâché floats built by the volunteers of Christmas on the River. "The parade rivals anything just south of New York," Brooker said. "There is truly something for everybody."
It all culminates that night for a nighttime nautical parade on the river with a fireworks show.
Here's a comprehensive list of all the
- Christmas Comes Alive begins Friday in Gordo. The Live Nativity and Hayride runs nightly from 6 to 9 pm through Sunday.
- The Woodstock Tree Lighting is set for 5 p.m. Saturday evening.
- The Moundville Christmas Parade will step off downtown Sunday at 6 p.m.
- On Monday, December 6, the Tuscaloosa County Christmas Tree lighting will start at 5:15 p.m. in front of the Tuscaloosa County Courthouse, followed by the 45th annual Christmas Parade in downtown Tuscaloosa with the theme “Super Heroes Celebrate Christmas”.
- The Victorian-era themed “Dickens Downtown” is Tuesday night, December 7 from 5-8 p.m. in Downtown Northport
- The Gordo Christmas Parade starts at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday
- The Centreville Christmas Parade is will be held Friday, December 10 at 6 p.m.
- Fayette Christmas at the Park drive-thru is open daily at the Guthrie Smith Park
- The City of Tuscaloosa's outdoor skating rink, along with the Tinsel Trail runs nightly at Government Plaza downtown thru January 2.
LOOK: See what Christmas was like the year you were born