4 Charged with Felonies After 100 MPH Pursuit Monday
Four people have been charged with felonies after a 100 mph vehicle pursuit and foot chase around Rice Mine Road and Watermelon Road on Monday afternoon.
The incident began at 3:19 p.m. after a 17-year-old male in a Toyota Avalon, which had been reported stolen in Tuscaloosa on Jan. 20, cut off a Tuscaloosa Police officer and ran him off the road in front of the Holt Chevron along Jack Warner Parkway.
The officer called for backup and started a pursuit topping 100 mph crossing the Bryant Bridge. The officer decided to terminate the pursuit near the intersection of Rice Mine Road and New Watermelon Road, at which time the driver of the Avalon rear-ended another vehicle, causing damage.
Four occupants fled the Avalon after it came to a stop near the Taco Casa. Officers surveyed the area, finding two girls, ages 14 and 17, hiding in the woods.
The pursuit continued for the two other males that fled the Avalon, and they were located getting into a gray Ford Fusion on Old Colony Road. TPD's helicopter followed the Fusion as officers on the ground followed south along Watermelon Road.
During this section of the pursuit, officers witnessed one of the occupants of the Fusion throw a handgun from the driver's side window. The chase ended at 3:46 p.m. where the occupants in the Fusion stopped in the parking lot of Northport Funeral and Cremation on Watermelon Road. Officers located the handgun after searching the Fusion and determined it had been reported stolen in another jurisdiction.
Three adults and the 17-year-old male are now facing felony charges. The females were released to the custody of their parents. The charges are as follows:
- Kedarius Johnson (pictured right), 19: First-degree receiving stolen property.
- Bond set at $10,000
- Pierre Lawson (pictured left), 18: Second-degree receiving stolen property (handgun thrown from the vehicle), pistol permit required and hindering prosecution
- Tyesha Lawson, 20: Hindering prosecution
- 17-year-old male: Juvenile in possession of a firearm, first-degree stolen property, multiple traffic offenses
- 16-Year-Old female: No charges, released to parents
- 17-Year-Old female: No charges, released to parents
- 14-Year-Old female: No charges, released to parents