Tax-Free Weekend for Disaster and Emergency Relief Items Begins Friday
Residents across the state will have the opportunity to secure items necessary for disaster and emergency relief without paying state tax this weekend.
According to the Alabama Department of Revenue, the 18th annual severe weather preparedness sales tax holiday will begin Friday at 12:01 a.m. and run through midnight on Sunday.
The release said the event will give shoppers the opportunity to purchase select items costing less than $60 dollars that are necessary during disasters and emergencies free of state sales tax. Local sales tax may still apply in certain areas.
The sales tax will also be exempt for portable generators and power cords that cost less than $1,000.
Some of the items eligible include:
- batteries excluding coin batteries
- cell phone chargers
- portable self-powered or battery-powered radios
- portable self-powered light sources, such as flashlights
- duct tape
- plywood, window film or other items for window covering
- non-electric food storage cooler
- ice packs
- fire extinguisher
- smoke detectors
- gas or diesel fuel tank or container
To see a full list of eligible and non-eligible items, click here or contact the Sales and Use Tax Division at 334-242-1490 or 866-576-6531 for more information.